Planning on moving? Here are a few steps you can follow in order to have a smooth moving experience!
One Month Before:
- Start packing the items you don’t use much. Label each box with the room it’s destined for and a number, like “Master Bedroom, #1.” Assign each room a color and place the appropriately-colored sticker on the boxes.
- Place valuable jewelry and important papers in a safe box that you’ll hand carry to your new home on moving day.
- Inform the following service providers of your move: banks, financial planners, stockbrokers, human resources at your employers’, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, credit card companies, insurance agents, cell phone provider and utility companies. Discuss shut off day with the utility companies at this time.
- Make travel arrangements for your pets, if necessary. Place copies of their medical and immunization records in your moving binder.
Three Weeks Before:
- Plan how you will move your house plants.
- Dispose of flammable items and poisons.
- Take moving day off from your job.
- Have a locksmith change the locks in your new home.
- Continue packing boxes with contents of your garage, attic and storage areas.
Two Weeks Before:
- Notify government offices of your move, including the city or county tax assessor, state vehicle registration, Social Security Administration, IRS, and Veterans Administration.
- Start using up your perishable food.
- Make a folder with critical information about your old house for the new owner.
- Get your vehicles ready for a new climate if you’re moving to one.
- Remove the contents of any safety deposit boxes and put them in the safebox.
- Continue packing.
- Call to have utilities turned on in your new place.
One Week Before:
- Print out the address of your new home and driving directions and include your cell phone number to give to the movers.
- Finish packing. Set aside enough clothing for five to seven days and put it in a suitcase.
- Call or Email Burloak Movers with any questions you have.
- Fill any prescriptions you’ll need for the next two weeks.
- Pack a box of essentials that you’ll keep with you during the move. This could include medication, snacks and water, toiletries, camera, etc.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers, gas grills, heaters, etc.
- Drain water from hoses.
Two Days Before:
- Empty and defrost refrigerators and freezers.
- Confirm moving day details with the moving company. Check on arrival time.
- Get cash to tip your movers and to have on hand for emergencies.
- Take care of payment for the movers if you haven’t already.
- Create a written inventory of your packed boxes.
- Walk through your home and yard before the movers arrive to make sure you’ve packed everything.
- Give your old house keys to your real estate agent or landlord.
- Check items and boxes off your inventory list as they are loaded.
- Check every room and closet for missed items after the movers have left.
- Leave a note with your new address so new occupants can forward your mail.
- Test appliances, faucets, toilets, smoke detectors and security systems in your new home.
- Set up the beds first.
- Unpack boxes and begin organizing your new spaces.
One Week After Moving Day:
- Recycle your moving boxes.
- Buy fire extinguishers if you don’t already have them.
- Hang pictures and other simple projects that make your house a home.
- Get acquainted with your new community and find out where everything is located.
- Find out local requirements for vehicle registration and drivers’ licenses.
Now you’re all finished! We hope you enjoy your new home!